Blackberry has announced the Blackberry Passport. The experimental square design comes as Blackberry endeavours to pair its physical keyboards with a large screen. The Q5 and Q10 featured screens of 3 inches, while although the Z10 features a 4 inch display, it is touch-only.
The Blackberry Passport is set to include a 4.5 inch screen, with a 1440 x 1440 resolution, with a pixel density of 453ppi. This is sharper than existing flagship devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 5S.
The square screen gives the Passport its unique look: users will no longer have to switch between portrait and landscape modes, which is crucial given the physical keyboard. Blackberry claims the Passport’s screen size will make it ideal for looking at Word documents and Excel spreadsheets, along with browsing the web.
The keyboard has been cut down to three physical rows. Punctuation, numbers and the ALT key will now appear on-screen. Blackberry claim the new physical keyboard can reduce typos by around 74%, and, while competing devices have much of their screen obscured by an onscreen keyboard, Passport users won’t.
The Blackberry Passport will run the BB 10.3 operating system and will be powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon quad-core processor with 3GB of RAM. This is comparable to phablets in the Samsung Galaxy Note range. The Passport features an internal memory of 32GB, with a microSD card slot to expand this to up to 64GB.
BlackBerry® is well known for amazing battery life. BlackBerry® Passport delivers their best battery performance to date with a 3450 mAh battery and optimization of power consumption in BlackBerry® 10, allowing for up to 25 hours of mixed use.
Blackberry has confirmed that Passport and Blackberry 10.3 users will have access to software offered by the Amazon App Store, to broaden the range of services at their fingertips. This will be in addition to those offered through the Blackberry World app store.
- Size – 128mm x 90.3mm x 9.3mm
- Display – 4.5″ LCD In-cell touch panel display, 24 bit colour 1440 x 1440 resolution with 1:1 aspect ratio
- Keyboard – Touch-enabled 3-row keyboard
- Operating System – BlackBerry® 10.3 OS
- Memory 3GB LPDDR3 800MHz RAM 32GB Flash, Hot-swappable MicroSD slot (up to 128GB additional storage)
- Processor – Quad-Core 2.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
- Battery Talk Time GSM: up to 18 hours UMTS: up to 23 hours Standby Time GSM: up to 18 days UMTS: up to 18.5 days Audio Playback: up to 84 hours Video Playback: up to 12 hours
- Camera 13 MP auto-focus rear facing camera, 5x digital zoom, Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS) 1080p HD video recording 2 MP fixed-focus front facing camera Image & video stabilisation, 3x digital zoom 3x digital zoom, 720p HD video recording
- GPS – Assisted, Autonomous and Simultaneous GPS preloaded with BlackBerry® Maps application
- Connectivity – USB 2.0 compatible (Works with SlimPort® accessories)
- Bluetooth – Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (LE)
- WiFi – 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n enabled, 4G Mobile Hotspot
- Network FD-LTE 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,13,17,20 (2100/1900/1800/1700/850/2600/900/700/700/800 MHz) HSPA+ 1,2,4,5/6,8 (2100/1900/1700/850/900 MHz) Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
- SIM Type – NanoSIM
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Gyroscope, Time of Flight (ToF), Ambient light